Have you ever walked into someone’s home or a furniture showroom and been captivated by a display? You can have that same feeling in your own space by creating an arrangement.
Gathering things that make you smile is a great start, but putting them together in such a way that they are pleasing to the eye might be daunting. There are a few simple rules for creating arrangements that awe your guests.
- One: Acquire fascinating things.
• Mementos from your travels
• Natural objects such as beautiful stones, lovely feathers, or a pretty piece of coral
• Artwork that speaks to you
• Accent pieces that bring color, texture or metallic pieces to the party
- Two: Consider both color and texture.
• While a neutral palette can be sophisticated and lovely, don’t be afraid to add a pop of color in a shade that makes you smile.
• Add metallic elements. Gold is super fashionable right now, and silver and platinum continue to be classic.
• Stone brings yet another layer of texture. Maybe marble? Perhaps porcelain?
- Three: Balance is key.
• View your arrangement both from side to side as well as top to bottom.
• Asymmetrical displays often work best because they tend to be more interesting to the eye.
• Consider using lighting to add a new layer.
- Four: Vary the elevations.
• Use boxes, books or other objects as a higher platform.
• Varying the altitude of pieces in the display adds dimension.
- Five: Change is good!
• Even a beautiful display becomes stale when it sits too long. Mix it up. Add a new piece. Bring in a new color. It will amaze you how much a simple change can make the whole thing new again!
• Then again, you can always start completely fresh and change the whole thing.
Tablescapes are a wonderful way to highlight your personality and belongings. Use our guidelines to point you down the path of artful arrangements.